Re: Photo sites

<<<
Hmm. Well, actually I beg to differ. Google is wonderful for finding
words, still (fairly) hopeless for finding images. The image search
function works well,

I wasn't thinking of Image search which is only another form of text search anyway.

<<<
but only when you are searching by subject (that's
why my crumpet and english muffin photos are all over the web). It
doesn't help for finding "really interesting photo sites".

Well I just confirmed that.  A search for the phrase "really interesting photo sites" returned no hits.  In a months time it will return at least two: your original message and this reply in the various PF archives on the web. ;o)

Back to another serious suggestion:
WJ's home page.

Can't remember a more comprehensive source of arcane photographic resources anywhere on line.  The beauty of it as a starting point is it brings all sorts of jems you would never have thought of searching for but, unlike automatic indexing services, only lists the best.

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

I'm sure you have seen it

Bob