Re: darkroom interloper

wildimages@lineone.net wrote:
....Seriously, joking aside, with digital being almost all pervasive now, how
much longer will colleges be immersing students in developing tanks?

I'm afraid we have this scenario backwards. The market is consumer driven not industry led. Kodak has pledge its support of silver halide film and paper in the amount of several million dollars and a new facility dedicated solely to traditional photography.

Most, though not all, portrait studios are still using film. I have coming to my darkroom today a local, high end portrait artist for a private b&w workshop. His goal is to provide his customers with yet another option, one double is regular prices. He intends to offer them fine, well crafted, hand made portraits on fiber based paper.

It is my belief that the digitaladicts have been blinded by their own rising star. That is not to say there is anything at all wrong with digital nor that it should be avoided. On the contrary, it is a fine medium with many, many good and respectable qualities and its own advantages. But it is only an alternative.

Colloidin has not disappeared. Platinum and palladium are still alive and well and are, in fact, a growing demand. Silver halide will not be going away anytime soon either. As digital becomes more prevalent the demand for fine, hand crafted photographs will become more of an item for art collectors. Just look at the walls on most movies and TV shows. It's there all the time.

Peace!
Sidney