RE: Charged CCDs

CCD= Charge Coupled Device.  Really a tiny capacitor charged prior to
exposure.  When light falls on the associated diode the capacitor discharges
in proportion to the amount of light that falls during exposure.  The
capacitor is part of a FET "Field effect transistor" so when that pixel is
read the current it passes (controlled by the charge remaining on the
capacitor) is proportional to the light that fell on that pixel.

The current the FET  passes goes through a resistor and produces an EMF of a
certain voltage this is then fed to a digitiser to give the digital value of
the light that fell on that pixel.

It is only this lst stage that is digitised.

This value is the put in the correct place in the file to make the RAW file
of the image.  If compression such as jpeg is wanted then further processing
has to be applied.

I've never heard of "charged ccd" unless it means that the capacitor is
charged prior to exposure.

Chris.

Chris.
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk