RE: scanner tips

As a starting point, why don't you let us know what dpi you've been using and on what model scanner? Are you scanning prints or film? If you're scanning film are you using a film scanner or a flatbed with a tiny little transparency adapter?

The images on my web site that have white borders around them are 4000 dpi scans of negatives done with a Canon film scanner. I don't know if you would consider them smooth or not but you can see them at http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery/gallery/Gallery.html.

Most of the images without borders are flatbed scans of the 4x6 prints any incorrectly color balanced, randomly cropping mini-lab produces. They were scanned on an HP scanner at 600 dpi.

Greg