Masochistic tungsten freaks

I originally looked into hot lights since I cannot afford even one really good strobe but I wasn't aware of the short lifespan of bulbs. At $15 or more a pop for bulbs the price difference shrinks quite rapidly. I know this is just operating cost for a pro but there's also the heat to deal with so I'm wondering what is the advantage to shooting under tungsten or is it just masochism?

Greg