Re: Digital and film, was didgital is a musing.....

At 10:12 AM 11/11/03 -0600, you wrote:
CDR's--burned CD's--are susceptible to a type of rot or deterioration in the
media (not so different from the deterioration of nitrate film base VERY
volatile or the now emerging issues with acetate film base that's gives it
up to become vinegar).  Pressed CD's (commercial programs and music) are
less vulnerable.

Another point--the guy doing wet plate or platinum or ambrotype is basically
making his own media, how many of us are capable of making our own CD blanks
or CD writers?

Not that I'd want to but I could make a Talbot type salted negative and a
pinhole camera from items around the house.  (OK, I cheated--I have 75
pounds of sodium thiosulfate in the basement--but you can buy it from pool
supply stores--ditto sodium sulfite.  Sodium carbonate from the grocer,
ascorbate from the drug store, etc.

darkroommike