Re: Digital and film, was didgital is a musing.....

> I lost several CD's of digital photographs in a matter of a couple
> months and they were just sitting quietly in their jewel cases on
the
> shelf.  They were irrecoverable.

Sidney

I write two copies of EVERY CD I make for backup/archival purposes and
I check that at least one file from each is readable.  Ideally i'd
verify every single file but that would take for ever.

CDs are not immune from deterioration.  The bigest "threat" to digital
files is that they just get forgotten.  Unlike neg's there is no
physical reminder you might be conveying something important to the
trash can.   Archiving digital data (work context) is an active and
ongoing process.  It does not just happen, the media needs to be
refreshed every couple of years.   Old slides might fade over 20
years, but at least there is something there.   Digital is binary:
it's there or it's not - instantly.

Jeff has it nailed: multiple cpies at multiple sites ... it's that
much effort.