Re: my new photo site

Today it seems almost unprofessional not to have a web site if you are in any kind of business. This is especially true for photographers. It seems to me that the starting point for designing a web site is defining what you want to accomplish with it and the intended audience.

My particular area is fine art, gelatin silver (b&W) prints and my work could pretty much be described as "straight" photography. I can get by with a simple, conservative site that I can build myself as long as it doesn't look unprofessional. However, if I were a young, hip photographer doing fashion work, I would want an entirely different kind of site and would most likely consider using flash. (I have flash but admit often cringing when I reach a site that uses it. I have a dial up!)

I appreciate traffic from search engines and various directories I've submitted to and have even sold a few prints this way. However, the audience that is important to me is people that have seen my work at exhibits, people I have met that might buy my work, and people that have already purchased a print. If people are going to pay good money for a print then I need to give the impression (or reassure them) that I'm a fine art photographer of some consequence and not just some bozo with a camera. Your audience and objectives may, of course, be different.

The only hard and fast rules I would suggest is to never even consider using a free site with popup ads and advertising and to avoid anything that resembles "mystery" navigation -- a pet peeve. Incidentally, some web awards are pretty easy to come by and my say nothing about how well you communicate with your target audience.