Re: Gallery stuff (and my small review of gallery)

You're absolutely right, more contrast would have helped the picture.  I was really trying to get a sunlight reflection off of the limestone top because that initially caught my eye.  What I like is the clouds/pollution (more pollution than clouds here I'm afraid).  The pyramids are rather ominous and imposing. I think the sky adds an element of eeriness to the this because, in reality, the pyramid is a grave.  You're also right on the no doctoring part.  About the only thing I know how to do in Photoshop is crop and resize!  :)  Thanks to both you and Greg for your input.  This is my first public display outside of an interesting high school competition many years ago (now that I have a darkroom, I wish I had those negs with me).  The feedback from this group is tremendous and supportive and I'm glad to be on the list.

Enjoy...Trevor Cunningham

Achal Pashine <achal@stanford.edu> wrote:
Greg wrote:
> Achal Pashine (Big Sur, CA) - I suddenly realized all the images I've seen
of California are of cities, street cars or bridges. This scene looks like a
tropical paradise. I love the blues (natural or computer enhanced?) and the
variety of tones on the beach. Beautiful scenery.

Hi Greg,
No, the blues are not computer enhanced. It is possible that not having UV
filter may have affected the exposure (and saturation) of blue color (also,
it is Velvia)? I also liked the changing hues of blues that were present at
shallow water (curved front) and distant deep waters.

My vote for a photo of the week goes to Jeff's GG bridge! One of the very
few non-clichéd images of GG bridge. Most of the pictures of GG bridge
remind us that we have seen that kind of picture somewhere else, but not
this one! I love the blues, they add a mysterious quality to this picture. I
like the off center positioning of the bridge too! I would have loved to see
it isolated by some kind of light border.

My vote for second best goes to Greg's photo of a sprocket wheel. We have
seen his lust of rust by another very similar old photo that he had
submitted of gear-wheels (with chain connecting both?) before, that had a
sepia tone to it while this does not. I like how he has arranged to place
curvature of "teeth" in relation to the whole frame. But, I would have loved
to see the vertical axis (?) on the rightmost part of the image more
vertical. Just curious, what format did you shoot?

All the other contributions are great too. I actually disagree with Greg
about his comment that Trevor's photo is uninteresting. I actually like the
way he has arranged to place a pyramid, I have not seen such an arrangement
before. Clouds are indeed 'unusual'; is that effect due to longer exposure?
I am sure he has not modified it, but it reminded me of my 4season plugin of
photoshop! :-) More contrast would have helped the picture.

Jim Davis' picture is phenomenal, is that a live bird? :-) Dull water does
not enhance the beauty of that beautiful bird. But Jim has to capture the
birds the way they are in their true surroundings and this is the way it was
when Jim shot the photo, so nothing to complain about!
Both, Peter Vissak's and Pini's shots are fantastic, Estonia seems to be a
breathtaking country. But, I heard somewhere that it has lot of Sulpher
dioxide air pollution? is that right?
Emily Ferguson's shot reminds me of Bob Talbot's fishing boat shot a few
weeks ago in terms of placing of sky and water; in my opinion, removing an
uninteresting foreground and increasing bluish sky would have helped the
shot.
Dan Mitchell and Leslie Spurlock's shots are more news/editorial kind and I
really don't understand much, in terms of what to look, in those kind of
shots.
Thanks everybody for these excellent contributions to the gallery and hope
that Andy's toothache is better and that we will soon see the next
installment of excellent images!
thanks to Andy and staff.

Achal

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham

Do you Yahoo!?