Gallery Stuff

My opines of the images in this week's gallery.

TO VIEW THE IMAGES, FOLLOW THIS LINK http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Jim Davis (Oshidori in Action) - From where I sit there's not much action but holy cow is he a looker. I assume this is the male with the female probably the color of dirt. I can feel the texture of them feathers in my mind. The color of the water and the gentle ripples complement the quacker perfectly. Very nice.

Greg Fraser (Rusted sprocket) - Part of a horse drawn plow that has not seen a horse in about 60 years. Once used on the family farm. I liked the way the sunlight was filtering through the overhead branches of an apple tree.

Achal Pashine (Big Sur, CA) - I suddenly realized all the images I've seen of California are of cities, street cars or bridges. This scene looks like a tropical paradise. I love the blues (natural or computer enhanced?) and the variety of tones on the beach. Beautiful scenery.

Jeff Spirer (Golden Gate Bridge) - Now that's saturation! One of those shots I love to stare at from about 1" so my whole field of vision is overloaded with blue. The fog is tremendous also and extremely important to the shot the way it shrouds the base of the shoreline breaking up the line where land meets water. It makes the shoreline look like it was painted on freehand. I also love the rearing stallion in the clouds whose hind legs stand upon the central bridge support.

Leslie Spurlock (Child of Domestic Abuse) - I find the mouth in the upper corner extremely distracting but I like the lighting. Nicely defined features and gentle shadows and I like the way the light reflects up off the shirt outlining the face.

Emily L. Ferguson (Sunset orange/pink) - I can't really see much pink on my monitor but then again its not the most accurate monitor around. It actually looks a littlie cyan in the upper half of the image but that just gives me more of a fall feeling as if there is frost on the trees.

Peeter Vissak (Just a morning) - Gee Peeter you went right from last winter to this winter with no fire season in the middle. I was looking forward to this year's fire shots. However I really can't complain because I really like this image. I like the way the center of the leaves still show life while the edges are loaded with frost. I also like the contrasting forms of the pointed leaves and the smooth, curving branches. Overall though I like the frostiness.

Trevor Cunningham - Tres minimalistic, non? It just doesn't hold my attention that well. I've never been to Egypt but the sky looks out of place. I'm not sure if its just too fluffy or the clouds look too big but something about it is disturbing me so I guess it does hold my interest after all.

Dan Mitchell (Steam Engine) - The flash is a tad harsh but that may be personal bias. I think of coal fired engines as dark and sooty with fire belching through the door. I know if I were taking the shot I would open the door, have the old man pose with a shovel of coal and then toss an aerosol can into the fire and take a natural light shot as the can explodes tickling the old man's knees with flames.

Pini Vollach (From Estonia) - Nothing but drama in Estonia. My download pauses just at the feet of the statue and that's where I like the image the best. The base of the statue kind of de-mystifies the winged one although I suppose that could be a mountain top and not a statue base. This is not my favourite Pini image but I dig the back-lit clouds.

Good day and thanks for providing the gallery Andy and indentured staff. Now for a little bare knuckle boxing.

Greg Fraser
Slapper of Newts
"Things are never what they seem" - Vlad
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery