Re: Converting digital files to 2 X 2s

Imagers, in Atlanta, http://www,imagers.com has a big reputation among photographers I eavesdrop on.

i've had two experiences having a digital file made into a slide. The first was with a local educational institution which had an old film recorder. We didn't know quite just how big a file to try it with, so we went for the largest possible which was 2700 dpi by 35mm film size. - a 27 M file.

If the original film hadn't been so grainy to begin with the slide would have been exquisite. Instead it was only grainy like the original film which must have been at least 400 ISO negative film ( 9 years ago ). The slide took an hour and a half to output to film.

The second experience with with Imagers and they screwed up completely. I prepared the file according to their specs and sent it, along with some files for dye sub prints, to Atlanta. the specs for the two outputs were drastically different, and I was upgrading from 35mm to 70mm film from another of those early-in-my-life high speed negative film scans. The slide was beautiful but even without a loupe one could see massive lumps of grain.

So caveat emptor. And check around on photo.net for reports or discussions.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@cape.com