Re: what does it all mean?

Jeff,

The place where mobile phones have the most value is the so-called Third
World.  In countries where towns and villages could never be wired because
of the cost, people who were completely out of touch with relatives, with
emergency services, with job hunting, with friends - mobile phone
technology ended that.  I've seen it in the mountains in North Africa and
in remote farming villages in Mexico.<<<<

I wasn't trying to suggest there wasn't a need, just suggesting there isn't
a need for excess.

The cameras in the phones will do the same things.  Try getting film
processing in the Middle Atlas mountains.  Then think about how people can
send images of a new baby over the phone to relatives in another
country.<<<<

"I can't imaging how they go along without those cameras" he says with a sly
grin. That sounds like marketing.

I'm sure the quiet space in Virginia is wonderful, but that comes from a
perspective of having lots of communications capability and a lot of
mobility.  Most of the world doesn't have that, which is why cell phones
have caught on in some of the poorest places - it's the only way they will
get some of the things people in the more developed countries have had for
decades<<<<

The Western mind hard at work. We have come to assume these things and these
ideas have a newly found importance.

Greenbank, Va. is not about mobility. It's science now being threatened by
the consumer who needs to send a picture of their newborn to some distant
relative, as the regular postal service just isn't fast enough for their
tastes, in too much of a hurry to be patient.

If on the other hand, that were the only users, we would be in great shape,
but too many of the users mentioned in the original post were just having
fun using a new toy. Show me that your fair in your opposing arguments by
keeping that aspect in mind as well.

What is the Hummer? It's a military vehicle, needed on the battlefield to
increase mobility of the troops. Marketing took it to the consumer and for
no other reason it sells because people want it. It's cool, it's different.
You can argue, "but it allows ambulances to get into those very remote
areas." You would be right, that application carries a real need, but to
pick the kids up at school? To own one because you can is to turn your back
on limited resources.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones were shooting film"