Re: Lighting Ratio

Did this and the previous message make it to the list? They were both kicked back by my server undelivered.

A small correction and a bit of additional information are below.

Rev. Sidney Flack wrote:
> ...It works like this.  If you halve the distance, the light intensity
> increases by four.  If you double the distance it falls off by 1/4. In
> either case the change is 400% or 1:4.

The decrease in intensity would be reduced TO 1/4 of the original not by
1/4.

> Thus, if you have two lights of equal intensity lighting a subject with
> one light 4 (4x4=16) feet away and the other 8 (8x8=64) feet the ratio
> is 1:4 (or 4:1) (64/16=4).

This ratio is equivalent to a 2 stop change in lighting since 1 stop
change is 1:2 and 2 stops is 1:4.  This will make the following clearer.

> Now to the original example with a ratio of 1:3 instead.  Keeping the
> closer light at 4 feet, the farther light would then be about 6.93 feet
> away and represents roughly 1 2/3 stops (6.93/4=1.7325) less light than
> the first.

This corresponds to something less than a 2 stop difference, i.e., a 1:3
ratio.

Peace!
Sidney