Re: Lighting Ratio

Hey did this and the next message make it to the list? They were both kicked back to me as undelivered.

Now I've got this in my head. Jim has the log relationships right on.

However, what we are dealing with here is light ratios and not changes
in f-stops.  Light ratios describe the intensity of one light in
relationship to another and the ratio of change in intensity when a
single light is moved either closer or farther away from the subject.

This ratio is described mathematically by the Inverse Square Law.  This
"law states that the intensity of light on a surface is inversely
proportional to the square of the distance from the light source."
(Adams, The Negative, p. 158)

It works like this.  If you halve the distance, the light intensity
increases by four.  If you double the distance it falls off by 1/4. In
either case the change is 400% or 1:4.

Thus, if you have two lights of equal intensity lighting a subject with
one light 4 (4x4=16) feet away and the other 8 (8x8=64) feet the ratio
is 1:4 (or 4:1) (64/16=4).

Now to the original example with a ratio of 1:3 instead.  Keeping the
closer light at 4 feet, the farther light would then be about 6.93 feet
away and represent roughly 1 2/3 stops (6.93/4=1.7325) less light than
the first.

How's that for someone who nearly gets a aneurysm doing simply math?

Peace!
Sidney