RE: First portrait session

> When you say the colors are of the wrong
> combination, do you mean the color of the lighting
> is wrong?

No. Altough I would have prefered more difusion in the
light, my main concern was the contrast between
subject and background. The backgroud is almost as her
hair. Also, her clothes (surely a personal choice) are
too neutral. I would try gray or dark blue clothes
(not way too dark).

All this from memory!

There are books on personal appearance who tackle the
color combinations proper for your kind of skin
(color) and hair - they help people dress with good
color choices to their advantage. I may get the titles
from a brother of mine, if you'd like.

> So we're going to try again next
> week.

I don't usually photograph people, but when I do, I
usually start chatting. I ask what they do for a
living, or where they were born. I also offer some
opinions of mine. When they catch up I start shooting
like mad. They start frowning, rolling eyes, looking
around, moving their hands or maybe relaxing a bit as
they try to remember something. They like the shots!
It's easy for me to strike conversation because I am
honestly interested in others' stories :-)

Sorry for the belated response.

=====