Re: First portrait session

Greg,

Thanks for posting the shots for us to see and critique.

You've done a good thing in recognizing the weak spots in the shots
already.

Agreed, your light isn't coming from the best angle but in the first
shot (head only) I don't think it looks horrible. It may help if you
darkened up one cheek a bit. Since the window was at her left, I would
have had it be the main light and dialed down the stobe to act as fill.
In this shot you clearly have two competing light sources..and it
confuses the brain. I think her pose and expression are good.

I'm distracted by the placement of her hand in the second portrait; I
think it would look better if it were below the level of her eyes. She
looks crowded in the frame. It would appear her hand is blocking the
window light which gives a nicer looking ratio but you're still hot on
the strobe side.

Did you happen to shoot any shots with just window light and a reflector
on the opposite side? That can be some of the most beautiful light
you'll ever find for head shot work. Depending on the window location,
it can blow out your highlights so a diffuser on that side, too, can be
a necessity.

You didn't mention what this shoot was for and if it's one you can
easily redo. She seems like a willing participant and I wouldn't
hesitate to ask her if you can shoot her again now that you know the
area you'd be working in. She'd most likely be flattered and you would
have the opportunity to make some minor adjustments and learn quite a
lot by comparing the results of the two shoots.

My 2 cents worth.
Lea