RE: First portrait session

Jeff typed:

> Sorry to hear about your experience with the dog.  I had the
> same thing
> happen in a studio once, but it wasn't a dog, it was Robert Earnest.

Hey, who hasn't been bitten by Bobert at some point in their lives?

> Here's a simple way to soften portraits:
>
> 1) Duplicate the background layer, then apply a blur over the entire
> photo.  The amount of blur depends on the size (pixel-wise)
> of the image,
> but 4-5 is probably a good starting point.
>
> 2) Move the layer opacity to 50%.
>
> 3) Use the eraser tool with a soft brush to erase the layer
> where you want
> fine details, like the eyes, lips and teeth.  Don't do it to
> the nostrils!
>
> 4) If you want to unsoften anything else (like the
> background), make the
> brush a lot bigger and brush off all the other stuff.

Thanks to your advice and the same advice from potty-mouthed Karl, I'm actually starting to be glad I did this portrait gig. It's a very simple and effective technique. I may even do what Lea asked and post some of the images. I would really, really like some brutal critique.

Greg