Re: First portrait session

Sorry to hear about your experience with the dog. I had the same thing happen in a studio once, but it wasn't a dog, it was Robert Earnest.

Here's a simple way to soften portraits:

1) Duplicate the background layer, then apply a blur over the entire photo. The amount of blur depends on the size (pixel-wise) of the image, but 4-5 is probably a good starting point.

2) Move the layer opacity to 50%.

3) Use the eraser tool with a soft brush to erase the layer where you want fine details, like the eyes, lips and teeth. Don't do it to the nostrils!

4) If you want to unsoften anything else (like the background), make the brush a lot bigger and brush off all the other stuff.

I rarely do this with portraits (I use it with other subjects though), I like the pores and blemishes.