Re: PF exhibits on 09-27-03

Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote/replied to:

And I wanted to comment on some of his comments. Kind of different,
but not out of laziness. Oh who cares, read or delete:

>Emily L. Ferguson -
>Sorry Emily: this one is not up to the standards you have shown us in
>the past.  I'm guessing this might be an image you're unsure of
>yourself (?).
>
>To me it's just a jumble.  It's almost a silhoette but not enough to
>be so.
>There is something "wrong" with the blues for me too.
>The action that is there is central: the mast that cuts in across top
>left just seems out of place for a good competition.
>
>Mmmm ... maybe I'll come back and delete this review: don't like being
>quite this negative.

I like this photos, but not sure why. On the other hand I don't think
it's a great photo. It's just interesting. And of course, it's got
THAT flag in it...

INSERT Bob Talbot's Hide:

Oh heheheh what appears to be two small babies' asses are sticking out
of a white blanky, which is being used by a photographer. But what's
he doing changing two babies at once, while trying to take a photo?
Really, Bob! You a sick, sick man. It's a very interesting photo
anyway with the out of focus obstructions, and the strange top of a
totem pole beside you. Really, I want to know what's really in this
photo, it's that strange.

>Achal Pashine - Baby Bird
>Expensive lens, the F1.8zoom I'll bet ;o)
>
>Simple framing really helps the image (I mean the white border).
>Lighting was harsh and sadly this has pushed the shadow side (wing) in
>to deep shadow. Ah, Velvia.  Not the film of choice for contrasty
>conditions and even less so for scanning.
>
>It looks like you got the eye and toenail sharp: tip of beak has
>obviously drifted soft at aperture used.
>
>Bird is central: a bit too much for me but I don't want to loose the
>background that side.  Instinctively I want to crop from the right but
>it wouldn't work with the bird looking that way.
>
>I bet the slide itself is much better.

Ya, for this I would have let some highlights blow out to see the
bird's face. Plus I would have cropped a bit from each side. Stop down
a bit more, just cause you got a fast lens doesn't mean you have to
use it wide open. I find f5.6 a minimum for shots this closeup.

>Jim Davis - Fishing in the grass
>Not up to the standard of some of Jim's fantastic images of late.
>This one really does not work for me.
>Why I wonder.  Mmm... lot of technical stuff.  Hand held?
>
>Yeah, right.  Image Stabilised lens or not this image ain't sharp.
>
>You've gone for the reflection and the bird but it's sadly made it a
>half-and-half kind of shot.
>
>Oh, I also prefe the grey heron in head-out poses

Well, it's sharp enough to make a real pleasing 12 by 18, real
pleasing. The eye has just fallen below the sharpness threshold of web
images that's all. And, I like a variety of poses, head out - got tons
of those... to me this photo is all about the 3 way filling in of
foliage and it's wonderful colour and lustres.

>D.L. Shipman - Cloud and Palm
>This image only connects for me from a curiousity viewpoint.  I've
>jumped to the possibly erroneous conclusion it isn't a straight shot.
>The technical details imply it is - it goes to the trouble of telling
>the make of camera yet my instinct says it was made in computer.
>
>Only the cloud looks natural:  I actually like the effect on the palm
>etc but not in the same frame as the cloud.
>
>Now if I'm wrong ... I'm prepared to learn.
>
>I want more details on the how of this one.

A little out of the classic balance in the upper left being a bit left
out, but I don't mind that. I do feel the bottom is a bit cropped
though. And I don't find the black on black appealing, really. But,
the image is interesting and different. And pretty good. I too, want
to know how this image was made. My guess is on black and white
channel mixing, and with the rimlighting on the palm, you managed to
make it look like this without any special fakery.

>John Warner - Morning after the gale, Cornwall
>Feel I want to be nearer the cliff edge on this shot.  The sea
>(especially the swell) is the essence of the shot yet it's hidden
>behind some reeds.  The village too: hiding behind a rock to the
>right.
>Horizon: well it's horizontal.  Maybe a little too near the mid-line
>and when I see the near featureless sky I wonder if we really need to
>be seeing so much of it.
>
>The name of the village?  Damn, I'm convinced I've been there but it's
>name escapes me - but I can't help remembering the Lizard as I type.

Oh my God, this could have been an incredible image! Yes, you should
have gone with the classic edge of the cliff looking over, showing the
water as a central subject and taking out some more sky. Everything
else looks incredible. Next time you see a scene like this, snap more
than one, snap a couple of rolls. This is an incredible scene.

>Katherine Boucher - waterreflect 2003
>Lovely picture.  I won't dismiss it out of hand as so many "judges" do
>of ripple shots.  It is beautiful.
>
>If it were mine I would crop it square (snipping from the base).  The
>upper 2/3 is where the main interest is for me.
>
>My fave this week.

well, it's no secret that I LOVE WATER RIPPLES TOO so I am judging
this photo incredible. I normally like natural ripples, but this seems
like some of the objects reflected must have been manmade. Anyway,
it's got a real impact and feeling of 'ART' to it. Nice going. You
might have inspired me to shoot and show some ripples only shots in
the future. Watch out.

>Andrew Davidhazy - Wasp on the loose
>Ah, our "lazy" old host did dig into his archives and pull out yest
>another example of his technical brilliance.
>Yes: another example of what you can achieve given
>1) the ability
>2) the opportunity
>3) the motivation.
>As a technical exersize it worked.  As a pictorial image the technical
>side worked too well.  I'd like to have some movement on the wings ;o)
>Of course: Andy may be a charlatan and this is really an image of a
>dead wasp suspended on a wire .
>
>Seriously: if that aunt pops her clogs / kicks the bucket / goes to
>meet her maker and leaves me loads of dosh (US = her stash) then I
>might well apply to RIT to do a photography course just to get to play
>with this sort of kit.

Na, it's too easy, he heh. Nice going anyway Andy, you got one good
one prefectly posed, centred and focused. Bob you need to head down to
Edmund's Scientific and get some books on electronics, perhaps a cheap
project like this would be a good place to get into a new hobby.

>Oh well, looks like I was just having a critical week. Who cares: at
>leat the power is on and I have the luxury of composing this after
>10:00  at night.

Na, a great review, thanks Bob. I hope you can review more often.
Emily's got the butter, you got the salt. I'm throwing in some pepper.

>Bob
>"The Iraqi people cannot comprehend how a superpower that  can get rid
>of Saddam in 21 days still can't get the lights on four months
>later" - Andy Davies

Ya well, they don't wanna install a nuke plant obviously, so they'll
have to get into burning oil and gas for something other than
poisoning the air and that takes time building plants and power lines,
etc. Course, it's tough building anything when you're being shot at
too.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/