Re: PF exhibits on 09-27-03

OK, another review of images
on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:

Emily L. Ferguson -
Sorry Emily: this one is not up to the standards you have shown us in
the past.  I'm guessing this might be an image you're unsure of
yourself (?).

To me it's just a jumble.  It's almost a silhoette but not enough to
be so.
There is something "wrong" with the blues for me too.
The action that is there is central: the mast that cuts in across top
left just seems out of place for a good competition.

Mmmm ... maybe I'll come back and delete this review: don't like being
quite this negative.

Achal Pashine - Baby Bird
Expensive lens, the F1.8zoom I'll bet ;o)

Simple framing really helps the image (I mean the white border).
Lighting was harsh and sadly this has pushed the shadow side (wing) in
to deep shadow. Ah, Velvia.  Not the film of choice for contrasty
conditions and even less so for scanning.

It looks like you got the eye and toenail sharp: tip of beak has
obviously drifted soft at aperture used.

Bird is central: a bit too much for me but I don't want to loose the
background that side.  Instinctively I want to crop from the right but
it wouldn't work with the bird looking that way.

I bet the slide itself is much better.

Jim Davis - Fishing in the grass
Not up to the standard of some of Jim's fantastic images of late.
This one really does not work for me.
Why I wonder.  Mmm... lot of technical stuff.  Hand held?

Yeah, right.  Image Stabilised lens or not this image ain't sharp.

You've gone for the reflection and the bird but it's sadly made it a
half-and-half kind of shot.

Oh, I also prefe the grey heron in head-out poses

D.L. Shipman - Cloud and Palm
This image only connects for me from a curiousity viewpoint.  I've
jumped to the possibly erroneous conclusion it isn't a straight shot.
The technical details imply it is - it goes to the trouble of telling
the make of camera yet my instinct says it was made in computer.

Only the cloud looks natural:  I actually like the effect on the palm
etc but not in the same frame as the cloud.

Now if I'm wrong ... I'm prepared to learn.

I want more details on the how of this one.

John Warner - Morning after the gale, Cornwall
Feel I want to be nearer the cliff edge on this shot.  The sea
(especially the swell) is the essence of the shot yet it's hidden
behind some reeds.  The village too: hiding behind a rock to the
right.
Horizon: well it's horizontal.  Maybe a little too near the mid-line
and when I see the near featureless sky I wonder if we really need to
be seeing so much of it.

The name of the village?  Damn, I'm convinced I've been there but it's
name escapes me - but I can't help remembering the Lizard as I type.

Katherine Boucher - waterreflect 2003
Lovely picture.  I won't dismiss it out of hand as so many "judges" do
of ripple shots.  It is beautiful.

If it were mine I would crop it square (snipping from the base).  The
upper 2/3 is where the main interest is for me.

My fave this week.

Andrew Davidhazy - Wasp on the loose
Ah, our "lazy" old host did dig into his archives and pull out yest
another example of his technical brilliance.
Yes: another example of what you can achieve given
1) the ability
2) the opportunity
3) the motivation.
As a technical exersize it worked.  As a pictorial image the technical
side worked too well.  I'd like to have some movement on the wings ;o)
Of course: Andy may be a charlatan and this is really an image of a
dead wasp suspended on a wire .

Seriously: if that aunt pops her clogs / kicks the bucket / goes to
meet her maker and leaves me loads of dosh (US = her stash) then I
might well apply to RIT to do a photography course just to get to play
with this sort of kit.

Oh well, looks like I was just having a critical week. Who cares: at
leat the power is on and I have the luxury of composing this after
10:00  at night.

Bob
"The Iraqi people cannot comprehend how a superpower that  can get rid
of Saddam in 21 days still can't get the lights on four months
later" - Andy Davies