Re: Galleria Impassions 18 Sept 03

Greg wrote:
<<
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html. In the frame of mind that anything is better than nothing, this is what I thought of the pictures. >>

Having just visited the gallery I have to disaggree ...
sometimes nothing is better than something not good enough!!!

<<<Achal Pashine (Windows) - I love the blend of shapes and colors>>>
Yup, they did look nice ... in a nicey nicey sort of way

<<Dan Mitchell (Dragonfly) - Sharpity sharp. The background is a lot less blurry than I would expect from a shot like this but then again I don't use a digital camera. >>
Spot on: bloody digital is the antithesis of quality - unless of course you are prepared to wait and wait and wait for the RAWs to download ...
Sharp background?

<<Antonio Cid (Essaouira, Morocco) overall softness of the image. >>
Nothing wrong with a bit of planned softness ...

<<Jim Davis (Red-Billed Coots Grown Up) >>
Well, we call 'em moorhens over here.

<<<I love the water ripples and the long arches of the grass. >>>
No way. The out of focus blade of grass nearest the camera completely ruins this shot.  Jim should have removed it before pressing the shutter.  I guess having a digital camera has made him lazy ... planning to clone it out later.

Love the ripples ... but they are th only part.

<<<Alan Zinn (P-38 Lightning) - Very nice Alan. >>
Yup, it is very nice.  Somehow being shot to ribbons by a brave bloke in one of these is far more acceptable than being blown to bits by a cruise missile from a coward hiding 200 miles away in a submarine.

Love the picture.

<<Fred van Sand (Good Harbor beach) - It could be the sunlight but this shot has the look of old photos from the '60s where the color has shifted towards red. >>>
Nah, the red shift just means it's a long, long way from here ...

<<Jayanth Vincent (Raphsody in Blue) - I like that word 'raphsody' and I like the layers upon layers. Very majestic. There appear to be several relatively large dots in the sky. Do you know what they are? >>
aliens

<<Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Mars from my bedroom 13-9-2003 2:56 am) - Chris, it doesn't look like the mars they show in the Blue's Clues episode on astronomy where Steve sings a song about discovering Uranus, but I'll take your word for it that this is really Mars. >>
I think the song went ...
"I never will forget
the rings around Uranus"

Mars is supposed to be red: don't he have a filter for that?

<<
My thanks to our philanthropic host A.D. and his industrious staff that make umpalumpas look like slackers. >>
What: the lazy git could not even be bothered to fill up the spaces with some of his own archived images ...

Vlad