RE: home brew diffusion box

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com> wrote/replied to:

>Among my concerns are:
>
>That the felt will suck up the light while the steel rings will
>bounce it back to the film and burn hot spots in the images,
>especially the cut edges of the rings.
>
>That polarizing the lights will eliminate the reflections off the
>rings to such an extent that they won't look shiny like they are.
>
>That there is no slide film which can mediate between the highlights
>from the steel rings and the relative dullness of the felt.
>
>That there is no slide film that will reproduce the colors of the
>felt accurately without some distortion.
>
>Of course, photoshop is not an option here, since the artist needs
>slides to submit to juries and she's not aware of what the real cost
>could be of shooting these and photoshopping them and sending the
>files out for duping to slides.
>
>Thanks for any advice.

You could of course bounce your lights off of large white sheets. I
used to use polystyrene sheets - cheap and very white, come in
different thicknesses and sizes. Just hang them, put them on the wall
whatever. You can easily cut a hole and shoot through that. I prefer
hot lights and tungsten film. You can use a filter though on daylight
film. Err to the warm side. Good luck.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/