Re: For everyone on the pay issue debate

rge@earnestphoto.com writes:

<< When did Patrick Whalen write this? If recently then photographers have
 been losing editorial assignment work steadily since at least 1997? 1998?

I think he wrote it at the end of last year or beginning of this year. I am
actually not trying to show how wonderful Getty is, but rather show the lack of
availability of jobs for even the top photographers and why that is, as well
as the lack of good pay for photographers. It just seems as though those of us
that get the jobs should feel lucky at this point. That doesn't mean we
should work for peanuts, but in this day and age, perhaps we should feel a little
glad in the fact that we have a job and are getting paid for something we love
to do. I have spoken with some of the top names in the industry, and believe
me, even they are fighting to get decent jobs right now. I have always admired
people that take a stand on issues that are important to them; however, how
are you going to be getting your retirement if you are turning down all the jobs
because of these demands? I don't really think that the people employing us
care about our demands right now. They will just go out and hire another great
photographer that will do the job and be thankful he has a job doing something
he enjoys. And, by the way, on the issue that started this debate in the
first place, the assignment this weekend for the magazine? Well, I stuck to my
guns and said it would be $200 for my time just to come out and not actually take
any photographs (there was an issue with whether or not we were going to be
allowed to take any photographs, so she just wanted me to come out in the event
we might be able to shoot something). This $200 is for my time. Did I hear
back from her? No. Do I feel vindicated that I didn't accept anything less, and
I stuck to my guns? No. Now I made nothing and possibly lost out on the Egypt
assignment as well. So, I have even less money to go towards retirement. But
hey, I took a stand right?

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://lesliescottphotography.com/";>Leslie Scott Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott