love.. and money too

At 2:15 PM -0400 9/6/03, BB wrote:
Perhaps for you Les.

Retirement is not on everyone's 'to do' list.

Each of us has our own definition of success.

So when you're 78 and you've got crippling arthritis or diabetes or a heart condition (or cataracts) and can no longer make a living taking photographs, where's your income going to come from? Love?

Sooner or later a professional photographer has to think about the future and how to pay for it. Maybe it's children, maybe it's actually buying a house, maybe it's getting frail, but one can't work for peanuts for ever and have anything for life beyond the barest necessities.

Those of us trying to or succeeding at making a living doing this really do love it, and telling stories with photographs is what it's about for most of us. What we're trying to say is that you have to think about these things sooner, not later.

When you pay a cut rate for something, don't you wonder why it's less expensive than the full-price thing? Do you think there's no connection between what you pay and the thing you've bought?

No different with photography, nor with the services of a skilled photographer.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@cape.com 508-563-6822