RE: possibly longer than Emily's post! :)

Angi,
  I respect your position and right to "go for it."  I also feel that Emily
has given you some very good advice.
  Be advised that there is a considerable leap from a controlled environment
such as a sears portrait studio employee and photojournalist.  Don't get me
wrong, I'm not suggesting that you're not up to it.  However, considering
your situation, I can envision several outcomes:
1. your internship at the paper will not work out.
2. after a lot of research on photojournalism, many hours of practice, and
with a great zeal, you continue to have photos published, i.e., the paper is
satisfied with your ability.  Under this premise, there are several outcome
variants:
a. the budget is increased and you are hired as a staff PJ.
b. the budget is never increased and you will continue to work for little
pay.  Sooner or later you will loose enthusiasm for this hobby work.  This
is the most likely.
c. the budget is decreased further, one of the two staffers you talked about
is laid off--an action enabled by your inexpensive good work.
d. option 'c' works so well that both staffers are laid off and other
interns like you are used to make up the difference.  Expenses are
drastically reduced with no detrimental effect to the publication.  The
publisher, who is in it for the profit, will gain wealth.
You are, after all, in a free capitalist society that allows you to make
whatever career moves you chose--supply and demand and all that.  Just be
prepared for the consequences.  Consider also that there may be an
inexperienced person out there that would jump at the chance to work at
sears for less pay than you currently make just to get the chance to learn
the business.
  From a financial standpoint (portrait photographers make more than PJs)
and considering the local competition situation you described, it seems that
you would be better off going into business doing what you already know.
Why let sears take the largest share?  A fat bank account will be more
satisfying than the byline.
Dave

Angi Turnpaugh
> While Emily's knowledge and advice are well taken, they are not very
> practical in my case at least.  Let me explain...the local
> newspaper has an
> opening (which I learned about from my neighbor who had just left
> the job)
> I have taken portraits of the editors daughter at my part time job (Sears
> Portrait Studio)...I think this might be an interesting job and great
> experience...
                    **snipped**