Re: do newpaper phojos carry lights

In a message dated 9/5/03 7:21:52 PM Central Daylight Time, elf@cape.com
writes:

<< I dunno.  I went to a workshop at the NPPA Northern Short Course the
 topic of which was how to manage shooting a feature portrait for the
 food/sports/fashion/arts sections with two hotlights or one and a
 reflector.

 when you have 4 minutes

 during the interview by the feature article writer.

 The teacher had worked his entire life for a New York City newspaper.

 And I shot basketball for a season next to the regional paper shooter
 who showed with two light stands that extended to 25 feet and two
 radio fired strobes with power packs.  He did that for night football
 too.   He tied the light stands off to the bleachers and tripped them
 with his on camera flash which was aimed into the sky or at an angle.

 He shot a New Year's First Night parade with the same rig and an
 assistant.  Tied the stands to trees and used rear curtain flash to
 catch the 10-person dragon in motion.

 So I dunno.  Seems to me that phojos at even medium sized newspapers
 use professional lighting equipment professionally.
 --
 Emily L. Ferguson
 mailto:elf@cape.com >>

I have been doing an apprenticeship with a staffer for the Dallas Morning
News and I can say for a fact that not everyone shoots with setups like this. For
basketball and sports stuff they either shoot available light or with strobes
way high up that are on remote systems. They have someone that specializes in
food as well as someone for fashion and they have an in-house studio with a
lighting system for table top and for fashion. When we went to shoot a set-up
shot of Raphael Palmeiro, the photographer did bring your basic portrait
set-up, but the reason he did this shoot as opposed to the guy that I am actually
apprenticing with is because he is good at that sort of thing. The guy I work
with does use your basic flash unit, not studio set-up stuff. Another girl that
I have done a press conference with and some other indoor stuff did not use
flash at all except towards the very end of the press conference for one
particular shot. She prefers not to use flash unless necessary. All of their
equipment is supplied by the paper, by the way. Anyway, that's what I know of the
newspaper industry, and I also know that not every staffer at the paper uses
flash. Some choose not to.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://lesliescottphotography.com/";>Leslie Scott Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott