Re: magazine publishing rights help

LScottPht@aol.com wrote:
I hope someone can help me with this. A publisher of a magazine has offered me a job this weekend photographing an Egyptian dancing event. I told her I charge $200/day plus expenses and offer one-time publishing rights. I know nothing about publishing rights, so I just said this off the top of my head. She wants to talk to me about the one-time publishing rights at the event. What type of rights should I offer to a magazine company? Can anyone give me details? HELP!!!

You're on the right track, Leslie. Your day fee may have been a little low, but if you can live with it, fine.

Talk to the publisher before you hand anything over, maybe even before you load your film. It would be best to go back to her and work out the agreement in writing before the event.

Find out what her plans are and make your initial agreement based on that. You're fees should include payment for usage. If this is small, local magazine fees may be lower. If it has a large circulation they should be higher.

Go to http://www.editorialphoto.com/contracts/estimator.html and use the estimator based on what you know of the magazine to get an idea of appropriate price ranges. Then you have some ammunition for your negotiations. They will also have some contract forms you can use.

At this point you may not be able to be too rigid in your fees. But who knows what you can come up with?

Good luck
Peace!
Sidney