RE: Inkjet Halftone Settings

<<No I don't really want to print halftones but I do want to know what the printer is doing. >>
Greg, this is the 21st century!!!!
You are sounding like a dangerous radical - wanting to know how things work I mean.  Just forget all that nonsense and act like a good consumer.  Bill says buy it - you buy it.  Bill says replace it, don't question ...

<<I would rather struggle with a 4x5 than fire away merrily with a Polaroid. >>
Both are defunct: they are 20th century technology.  Continuing to use them threatens to destabilise the "cycle of continuous improvement" that comes with digitalis ...

<<Holding an 8x10 at 4", I can see the dots that make up the colors. >>
Then get some longer arms, or smear some grease on your reading glasses ... there, can't see the dots ...

<<Held at arm's length they look fine to me. I am now wondering if perhaps I should not be examining an 8x10 that closely. >>
There is a myth that old fashioned "silver" prints used to be able to be examined with an eyeglass ... poppycock!  If you can see the dots you are setting your standards  too high ...

<<Last night I figured something out. >>
More spoutings of a dangerous radical ...

<<Oh well. Keep testing. >>
NO!  Just buy the latest upgrade:  the one to kill all the flaws in the previous upgrade you bought to kill all the flaws .....