Camera Drowning update

Just a quick update about the camera and lenses that fell into the lake this
summer. All of the equipment was underwater for about 2 minutes and the
camera was on and loaded.

Both lenses were repaired and cleaned at a cost of about $75 each. Not bad
considering. There appear no long term affects from the swim. AF on the new
Nikkor is as fast as first purchased. Both lens' AF seem normal images
returned clean and well exposed (camera side, the photographer still makes
mistakes_grin) and without issue.

The Nikon F100 was refused for repair. The reasoning was water in the VF, if
this is present saving the camera is generally considered non-viable.

In reality, the camera seems to have returned to normal. There appear to be
only ONE problem that has remained. The led on the front of the camera whose
primary function is to light intermittently for the self timer function
remains on until it drains the batteries. All other functions have returned.
The meter seems to be within 1/6 stop of the new replacement F100 and AF,
all modes and the flash hot shoe seem to function. I had the camera powered
up most of several hours over numerous days and everything except the LED
seems to have returned as new.

 I cleaned the film pressure plate with old lens cleaning fluid and a
bandana. Used Q-tips in the auto load mechaisms and this area looks very
clean now but have yet put any film through.

Batteries do not last long, less than 50 hours, assumeably because of the
LED.I am thinking of having the LED disconnected. I will then know if the
batteries are being drained from some other source.

Thanks for all of your feedback, it was appreciated a great deal. What the
hell, I can use it for the next Mt. St. Helens eruption.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones were shooting film"