> Re: New job for Angi - very long

My two cents:

Photojournalism gives us a chance to do what we love.  On assignment, THEY pay for the film, THEY pay for the processing; never come home with an empty camera.

Take the time to finish the roll, use extra film, whatever on THEIR dime.  That's the advantage.  Take advantage . . . plus all the extras that MAY follow, like fame, fortune.

When the pain of Not doing it exceeds the pain of doing it . . . JUST DO IT; or not.

Steve Shapiro
(Robert G. Earnest) photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu wrote on Mon Aug 25 11:14:07 2003:

> >P.S. Robert...haven't you spoken with Auntie Em about portraying herself as
> >ASMP counsel only on television??
I was on the BOD of the LA chapter of ASMP nearly 20 years ago. It is
true that I am tired of lecturing about business practices and copyright
issues to clients who then refuse to hire me and the photographers that
then get the jobs.

In a way I am glad that someone still has the energy to expound the ugly
truth.
On the other hand, I think that Em should have patted Angel on the back
before punching her in the stomach. Nonetheless it was an interesting
posting.

> Yeah, yeah.  I know it sounds rough,  But the truth is that
> newspapering isn't very good for the journalists' pocketbooks and the
> longer photographers aid and abet that, the longer it goes on being
> that way.

Whose pocketbook "IS" photography good for these days? (Besides Getty
and Gates?) Who is making a good living creating photography? It has
become a commodity. And as with most commodities the money is in the middle.

As for Angies name. I think it should be distinctive. It can be gender
specific.
Here is how I see it. Work for the paper. Get Photo: Angel Turnpaugh
printed by every image you get into the paper. It is not a name that
will be missed. Do this for a few years and Angel Turnpaugh will become
embedded into the back of the public mind. (hundredth
monkey/morphogenetic fields and all that) Use the equity to start a
portrait/wedding studio. Everyone will already be familiar with the name
and assume that you are famous and obviously very good.

best of luck,

Robert "the Snake" Earnest