Re: Minimizing pinhole image falloff

At an angle theta, the view of the aperture from the film plane is an
ellipse whose semi-major axis, b, is:

b = a * cos(theta) where a is the major axis and is the diameter of the
aperture. Theta here is the angle of the ray off center.

This has the same effect as reducing the area of the pinhole by cos(theta).

The film in the example is flat and the ellipse of light strikes it at the
same angle theta causing the elliptic "tube" of light from the pinhole to
stretch back to a circle reducing intensity (light/area). Again, this is
cos(theta).

So, the total light fall off is:

I = I0 * [cos(theta)]^2

Where I is the intensity of the light, and I0 is the center intensity

The effect of the slant of the pinhole is, therefore, not neglected.

This is the same as:

I = I0 * cos^2[atan(r/f)]

In my post I was actually I / I0, or relative intensity as stated in the
post.

Yes, sin(theta) = atan(r/f). This relation was given because it is more
useful to the original poster.

I've addressed diffraction in a separate post.

There is another (relatively) minor effect. Defining this effect is left as
an exercise to the reader.

Regards,
Bob...
"Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying
the object which is abused.  Men can go wrong with wine
and women.  Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?"
-Martin Luther