Brighton Beach Brooklyn and exploitation

Dave,

Any time you photograph a person without their permission (even if it is granted later), it is probably a form of "exploitation." When a person is in a situation by circumstance rather than by choice, you, the photographer, could possibly feel this more deeply than normal.

But I don't think you exploit someone unless you put them in a bad light. You did not do that with "Brighton Beach Brooklyn." Getting these folks all bundled up and moved onto the street took a lot of effort on somebody's part. It would have been so much easier just to have allowed them to stay inside. So the feeling is that they wanted to be there and someone cared enough to put them there.

This is, to me anyway, a celebration. A celebration emphasized by the background even if is meant for a different crowd.

Great shot!

peace and pixels,

rand