Re:photographing surfaces

Kostas wrote --
>>>what focal length should i use?<<<

  A 50mm (macro, if you have one) would do. The aperture would depend on the nature of the subject and the visual quality you want to give it. If you wish to be production-line formulaic, use f/8. Many heavily-textured surfaces will require smaller apertures when photographed up close.

>>also, what is going on with slife film bracketing? I have no knowledge  of....<<<

    There are a lot of variables involved when you shoot film (and digital aswell) : Is your exposure meter dead accurate ? Do you know how to interpret its readings ? Is your shutter accurate ? Are your apertures ? All film is manufactured to tolerances. All development, too. Each film has its latitude, and each scene its contrast. Are you placing your exposures to follow suit ?

These variables often cancel themselves out to some degree, but slide films are very sensitive to small variations (1/3 of a stop is visible). Most people nowadays leave it to the Matrix. If you are satisfied with perfectly generic, basically serviceable exposures, that will work. If you want vibrant, extraordinary slides, learn how to expose slide film --- and with static subjects, bracket. If you are very good with your exposures, try a + 1/3, 0 & -1/3 string. If you're really sloppy, you may want to make that in 1/2 stop increments.

  Ideas ?

     Do you have a copy stand ? These things are going cheap these days, and you could put it to use, bringing your surfaces to it.

     If you have a polarizer, use it. Google how to use one.

     From the last tripod discussion, I doubt you have a tripod head with a built-in level. Buy one of those small levels that fit into the hot shoe of your SLR (cheap, plastic ones, go for $25). It will help keep your subjects plano-parallel to the film plane (and speed up your workflow).

   --- Luis