Re: About the Gallery...

At 06:34 AM 8/11/03 +0000, you wrote:
>Oh, and while _my_ arrangements of digital data will be insignificant possibly
>those of others may contain some information of interest (not that it will
>probably mean much) to future generations who might just wonder what society
>was like in the early 2000s.

Andy,

This point is flawed I'm afraid: let me explain.

A) Assuming no major collapse of society (and as a direct result technology) "historians" don't need to rifle around in attics looking for "arti-facts" on which to piece together how things were. The standards of records (pictorial, literal etc) are flawless - being digital - so you just log on and are presented with the Empire's global approved view of history. At a price: all sites being subscription only.

B) If there is a major collapse: technology as we know it will go with it. In a century nothing: absolutely NOTHING of what we have archived digitally will exist in a readable form (or worse, in a form which looks like it might be). Maybe historians might wonder what those shiny disks were. Currency? Ornament? frankly they would not have a clue.

Thousands of years BC the ancients had a very well organised society. We can only speculate at the extent of it. The records that remain are literally carved in stone (or moulded from gold). All thier organic bio-degradable records have long gone.

The flying phutt remains:

Bob,

"Rubbish! the Archaeology of Garbage" is a fascinating book. Turns out paper can stay readable almost indefinitely buried in
land fills.

AZ

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.

Build a Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed.
http://www.panoramacamera.us