Re: Review of PF Exhibits on August 9, 2003

Les Baldwin <fotofx@ix.netcom.com> wrote/replied to:

>>               Jim Davis - Cormorant Clowns with Feather
>This shot really needs some fill flash Yes it's possible at this range. The
>eyes of the birds are dead, and the focus is too shallow to allow for the
>heads to be in sharp focus. Overall the shot could be interesting if sharp
>and had just a little more snap in it

Thanks for the comments. What can I say...

Well, because of the size of images here, the black birds are
certainly a challenge to show up. On the larger images, the eyes do
show up well.

Plus, not having them all totally sharp lends a depth to the image.
The centre two birds are actually very sharp - got a magnifying glass?

The thing is, each bird's eye is represented by, what, about 3-6
pixels? Pretty tough to make them pop at that size.

But, hey, this is art. I'm not trying to show up birds as some kind of
science reference.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/