Re: PF Exhibits on August 2, 2003

At 12:22 AM -0400 8/2/03, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 2 August 03. Authors
with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:

jIMMY Harris - Cowgirl

Skin is hard on the computer and you were lucky to be able to pull so much of her eyes out from under that brim. She's a pretty serious little girl, I'd say, judging from the turn of her mouth. The fun part about the computer is finding these vignettes within your photographs. You learn to see outside the camera box that way. Keep your eyes pealed for the next earnest little face at a rodeo!

Gary M. Thomas - Painting the new bridge at Swansea Marina

Interesting to consider what is vertical here, or what it would be desirable to have be vertical here. Tilted always makes the viewer a bit queasy, or jived up, and perhaps that was what you were after too? I like the way the contrails reinforce the cables - the graphic elements of lines streaking are very nice, even if accidental.

Jim Davis - the Elusive Kingfisher

He's pretty neat, and I like that he's so sharp. The classic cliché image would have had a catchlight in the eye, but we all know how hard that is. As for the composition, I'm not convinced that that much post and greenery is necessary to put him in context. Try some crops and see whether there's something else.

Shyrell Melara - Sunshine Skyway

Yeah. Horizons are horizontal and one has to spot every scan or get a film scanner with digital ICE. The technical problems just really leap out at the viewer. There must be a hundred photographs in this image. I suggest you return often and see how many you can get seduced by! What a rollercoaster ride that bridge must been. I wonder what sort of engineer dreamed it up!

Srdan Brkic - The eye

Intense and a little soft. I wonder - what would be the nature of the impact of this image if the eye were sharp? Interesting question to ponder. Interesting, too how the focal point, or ostensible focal point is pushing the viewer away from itself - by being soft and intensely shadowed.

Marilyn Dalrymple - Crash Landing on a Cloud

Having her looking straight at the camera would have been the final ultimate touch for this! Also dodging the far corners would be a nice touch.

Tim Mulholland - Jewels of Lost Lake

Well, I'm a little confused here. Which are the jewels - the hot highlights bouncing off the water or the fish? I think I would have cropped off the hot highlights before sending the pic in, and would have turned the three fish to all face the same way before shooting. Hope they made a good supper!

Thanks to all for submitting, thanks to Andy and staff for putting up the gallery even without the full complement of contributions. The more reviews the better!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com 508-563-6822