gallery comments 04/08/03

Hi all,

My comments on this weeks photos. Feel free to react to my ramblings...
so I won't be tempted to be even meaner >;-)

--------------
jIMMY Harris - Cowgirl
What a cute girl. Pretty sharp despite the magnification, but the colors
are horrible.  Good look.... don't know if one can say that you
"captured" it ;-)

Gary M. Thomas - Painting the new bridge at Swansea Marina
Bold composition. smoothly curved, dynamic lines and that guy hanging in
the middle of it.  But it seems your exposure was very wrong, probably
set off by the bright reflection from the bridge. Try metering off the
blue sky in these situations. Also, but it's hard to tell, the man seems
out of focus to me.

Jim Davis - the Elusive Kingfisher
Bright, nice colors, sharp, and nice neutral backdrop. Very good. It
will be even better if you cut away the lower half of the image.

Shyrell Melara - Sunshine Skyway
Could have been a nice shot, except for the tilted horizon, the grainy
scan, the bar (frame of car?) at bottom, and the lack of sharpness. The
colors are a bit psycadelic or old-age, but that I don't mind.

Emily L. Ferguson - Cleopatra's Ride at the peak
Fun image. So much to look at, so many expressions. Well framed against
the dark background, creates a mood af thrill and fun. Only objection is
the hand sticking out from the bottom.

Srdan Brkic - The eye
Provoking, frightening, mysterious, sensitive. Certainly a mood-raiser,
by the red color and the extreme close-up. You may read a lot of things
into this eye, depraved of its immediate surroundings to give us any
clues about its true nature.  Mirror of the soul? Nonsense!

Marilyn Dalrymple - Crash Landing on a Cloud
Very sweet image. It must be great fun to work with such a model!

Tim Mulholland - Jewels of Lost Lake
The orientation of the image is not obvious, but that just helps the
mystic mood of the dark water, the grass, and the fish. Interesting.

Cheers,
Thomas