Photo predictions from almost 60 years ago - part II

This is the second part of an article from Popular Photography magazine
published in February 1944. More to come if you want to see it!

THE COMING WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
Nine Outstanding Personalities in the Field Express
Their Views and Expectations of Postwar Photography

WILLARD D. MORGAN, ELLOT ELISOFON, BERNICE ABBOTT, C. B. NEBLETTE, PAUL STRAND,
L. MOHOLY-NAGY, H.A. SCHUMACHER, JOHN S. ROWAN, Sgt. ARTHUR ROTHSTEIN

ELIOT ELISOFON

I FEEL THAT the camera finds its main importance as a recording and
communicating mechanism, and I should like to see it develop until it takes its
place with the pencil and the typewriter as an instrument of our everyday
language. Photography should be taught in the schools along with penmanship as
part of postwar education's expansion.

It is possible to perfect the camera to the point where it will become an
automatic instrument which will focus, expose and process the film by the mere
push of a button. In this way we will be able to realize a medium possessing an
immediacy between seeing and recording unachieved by any other art.

I would like to see the camera and photographic material so refined that we
need never use anything larger than a miniature camera exposing single frames
of 16 mm film. For this we need grainless film with dyes rather than silver
particles as the sensitive medium. The camera should have a built-in lens
turret, mounting a wide angle, normal and telephoto lens, a photoelectrically
controlled lens diaphragm and an automatic dry processing chamber. A camera of
this sort could be easily carried about along with a plentiful supply of film.
You wouldn't have to wait for results. And it would never need intrude itself
upon the scene being photographed, leaving reality unchanged. There should be
color film with greater latitude and speed and controlled brilliance, as well
as the black-and-white which will do for most purposes.

This extreme simplification will bring photography to everybody. It will leave
the photographer free to develop his creative and esthetic principles. And art,
if it is to come from photography, will come out of the meaning of the
photograph and the greatness of the observation of the photographer.

- prepared and posted on this list by ADavidhazy - andpph@rit.edu