Today as predicted 50 years ago?

This is the first part of an article from Popular Photography magazine
published in February 1944. More to come if you want to see it!

THE COMING WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
Nine Outstanding Personalities in the Field Express
Their Views and Expectations of Postwar Photography

WILLARD D. MORGAN, ELLOT ELISOFON, BERNICE ABBOTT, C. B. NEBLETTE, PAUL STRAND,
L. MOHOLY-NAGY, H.A. SCHUMACHER, JOHN S. ROWAN, Sgt. ARTHUR ROTHSTEIN

Photography spent its first hundred years slowly developing its mechanics, its
lenses, cameras, emulsions, and lights. But war speeded progress will place the
camera in the forefront of man's technical devices when victory comes. To
determine the new uses, new methods, new viewpoints that will give camera work
Us direction in the postwar period, POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY has asked a trusted
photographic editor, a war correspondent, documentary photographer; teachers of
photography, manufacturers, and a soldier to contribute to this symposium.
Their opinions differ. Yet somehow all seem to feel that the second hundred
years will see the camera put to use as never before with the amateur often
leading the way. THE EDITORS

WILLARD D. MORGAN

PHOTOGRAPHY can well afford to pause and take stock of its phenomenal growth.
Today, as photographers we have fast films, fine cameras, marvelous color film,
highly perfected synchronizers and flashbulbs, efficient lighting equipment,
fine photoelectric exposure meters, standard reliable processing solutions,
excellent lenses, and uniform photographic paper of good quality. There will
naturally be changes and improvements after the war, yet basically we will be
using familiar materials. What then for the postwar photographer?

For the commercial photographer I can only see a period of intense production
to fulfill somewhat stylized photographic demands. Here and there a creative
worker may override static work to produce a variation in style.

The amateur will ride through the postwar years with a free spirit of
adventure. Every new film, developer, and piece of camera equipment will be
eagerly seized upon and used. These postwar amateurs will form many new camera
clubs, eagerly buy all the new photographic books, and become the initial
participants in a great proving ground of new equipment and methods which may
later become standards for the professional as well.

I feel that the great changes in postwar photography will come from the
creative amateur, who is not bound by commercial conventions. To be specific,
this creative amateur photographer will learn to give a fuller interpretation
to the people and places about him. Changes will come from within the
photographer himself. I would like to see the discussions of the future center
around the interpretation of the photographic idea and not on endless
techniques which will be fairly easy to acquire anyway. In this way we
will enter a new century of photography which will be challenging and exciting.

---- more to come if there is any interest.

---- posted on this here list by ADavidhazy - andpph@rit.edu