computer questions

Hello All,

So, not enough submissions to the Gallery and no
digest this evening? I was beginning to think the sky
was falling too, until I saw it was due to a technical
problem.

My problems are technical too.

1) In a fit of bleary-eyed stupidity, I accidentally
erased a bunch of photos off the hard disk tonight. I
was using the software that came with my camera, and
it does not route deleted files to the purgatory bin,
but sends them straight to pixel heaven. I know enough
about computers to know that the data must still live
on my hard disk, but not enough to know how to
resurrect the ghosts. Can anyone recommend a freeware
or shareware undeleting program that can ease my pain?
(I use Windoze ME.)

2) I have accumulated quite a few usb cables now, and
each device's manual insists that you should only use
the cable supplied with the device. Took me forever to
track down the 'right' cable tonight (hence the bleary
eyes mentioned above). What I wonder is if there is
actually a reason beyond "their lawyers make them say
that" for the claim. Does anyone know if I will run a
risk of damaging my camera or other devices by using
the 'wrong' cable?

Thanks for any advice,

brian van den broek