Re: Splish Splash

Russ,

I have read (i.e., personal experience) that folks have run their compact
flash cards through the washing machine without apparent harm. The trick is
to make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you try to use it. I would wait 48
hours after the blow dry thing before testing it, but I would put it in my
D60 after that without any hesitation. As noted by others, it is the water
that does the harm, but not until you fire up the circuits. If it is dry,
the worst that SHOULD happen is that it simply won't work.

But a 256K card is so inexpensive any more, you may just want to buy another
and not take the chance. If you do decide to go that route, send me the old
card. :-)

Actually, after re-reading your post, I noted that you dropped it into soda.
In that case, I would probably drop it back into some water first (for half
an hour or so) to try to dissolve any sugar from the circuits. Then I would
dry it with a blow dryer and set it in the sun for 48 hours. And if you
don't want to take any chances with the card any longer, my offer to take it
off your hands still stands. I will send you a report as to how the drying
experiment goes.

There are two old sayings to ponder, choose whichever fits you best:

1. "If in doubt, don't."
  --  J. Beisner (my HS chemistry teacher)
2. "No guts, no glory."
  --  Old army saying (among other places, I'm sure).

peace,

rand