Gallery Comments for 2003-06-28

For what it's worth
Some quick comments while looking at the full scale images in this week's gallery ...

The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated 28/06/2003
Work on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html includes:

Pablo Coronel - 350 Supercharged
Suffers from some zaggy artifacts (scanning? / resizing?)

As a picture: to me it's just a piece of chrome.  The words (label) gets in the way of it being an abstract.
It's carefully framed ... beyond that it has no real association for me.  The most interseting part is the distorted reflections of some people (?)

Bill Ellis - Late Night Snack
Yellow

OK, 447 4372 has a white background so maybe it is yellow.

What's it about though: to me it's an alien world.  Who in thier right mind wants to eat hotdogs anyway ... hardly haute cuisine ...

The "crowd" seem to show a fair share of tension, or is that just a fact of city-life at night.

The real picture for me is the left two thirds *over* the "focus" . The bit to the right of the pole is outside ...

Greg Fraser - Agony
Yes, looks painful.  An abstract: interesting. Background works.
No doubt Vlad would prefer this one with the wire cutting in to a human finger ...

Dan Mitchell - Cley Mill
Another bloody windmill ;o)
OK, that's how you can react to them in camera clubs ...

Nice pastural scene ... could be anytime in history apart from the merest hint of a TV aerial on the central house.  I like the way the windmill is just a small part of the scene and particularly the stream taking me towards it.

I've seen this mill so many many times in pictures ... must visit it sometime.  If onlt Norfolk wasn't so far away.

Rich Mason - Eat
My fave this week.
A real quality abstract image.
I don't know (or care really) how it was made ... it works for me

D.L. Shipman - Callipygian Jones
Nice bum.

Who, what or where is Callipygian Jones?
Is that the woman's name

A simple composition with a fast-ish shutter speed to freeze the water droplets.
No distractions in the background.
Classic lower-left-thirds with movement "into the picture".

The tone on her lower half is much paler than on her back/arms yet no tan lines ... seems odd.

Jeff Spirer - Dots
Street abstract of  common objects

Interesting pattern of curves.
No distractions - just dots and tarmacadum.

I expect a silver print of this would show a lot more textures in the tarmac than I'm getting on the monitor.

A nice arrangement though.

Fred van Sand - Beachtree
A nice shot - well framed and timed (for the wave).

Would it work better flipped horizontally?  Maybe not.  I'm wanting just a tad more width on the left for some reason ...

Pini Vollach -
Pastel colours and modern utility appareil.

An interesting arrangement - not too simple or maybe slightly too much for a simple abstract.

The patch of blue lower right.  Does it *need* to be in there?  Cropping it out changes the picture for me.  I seem to want to see either more or none of it ...

Bruce Weitzman - Speak-Hear-See, self-portrait
Dang, wish I had thought of this one for my "matte-box" follow up.
You're treading on Andy's territory with this sort of shot ;o)
Clever idea: thanks for showing us

Stephen Ylvisaker - Do I trust my eyes or my brain?
Often a dilemma when there is a false horizon in an image.  It looks askew: was it?
Where is up?  Did you use a spirit level to ensure the camera was horizontal?

Oh, I think the road bends to the right ?

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.