gallery review

Hello all,

A number of months back, I contributed a few reviews.
Since then I have several times gotten halfway through
doing others but did not finish before the gallery had
changed. While the exercise was not completely useless
(I learned something in writing them) this time I am
opting for much shorter comments so as to ensure they
go beyond my hard drive.

One worry for me about shorter comments though is that
criticism can, in that context, feel abrupt and even
dismissive. Such is not the intent, and I would thank
the contributors for putting their work up to be
commented upon. (Thanks to Andy and staff.)

So, here be my thoughts on this weeks gallery:

 Pablo Coronel - 350 Supercharged
This is quite nice. But I think it would have been a
bit stronger with more space at left and at bottom. As
it is, the filter feels a bit cramped in the frame.

 Bill Ellis - Late Night Snack
A nice slice of night-life, but _very_ yellow! I would
certainly try to adjust the colour-balance. The lamp
post cutting through the sign is distracting as well,
but it does look like that with all the cars parked
there it might not have been possible to find a better
angle. (Are there enough 24-h Maxwell St Polish
sausage stands that it is necessary that they point
out they are the original one?)

 Greg Fraser - Agony
I can see why this evoked pain for you, but I read it
differently. It makes me think of how nature is often
stronger than us or our creations. Can't go through?
Well fine then; go around! I like the contrast in
textures between the bark and the rusting metal.

 Dan Mitchell - Cley Mill
I quite like how the position of the mill and the
channel work together. There is the implication of an
S-curve that is quite pleasing compositionally. It
might be stronger without the wooden structure at
bottom left, but I imagine the local authorities would
have frowned on modification, even for the sake of
art.

 Rich Mason - Eat
Neon, reflections, and psychedelia. What's not to
like? I am curious as to exactly what you were pointed
at to get the effect.

 D.L. Shipman - Callipygian Jones
Well, it is a woman with a thong heading into the
water. I am not nearly puritanical enough to be
bothered by that, but I don't see anything here to
make me look more than once. Was it done with digital?
There seems to be a strange texture to the water, and
I wonder if it is a digital artifact or not.

 Jeff Spirer - Dots
I don't think this would have worked in colour, but in
B&W it is quite nice. I like the triple arcs. There is
something pleasingly 'alien' about it as well. But
what the heck are those dots anyway?

 Fred van Sand - Beachtree
I've spent enough time on the OR coast to have several
shoeboxes of evidence to back up my claim that I at
least find the beauty of the place difficult to
capture on film. Perhaps it is because all the muted
colours do not translate well. But this works by
giving up on colour entirely. The silhouette is very
effective. It might have been improved by not being
quite so close to the edge of the frame though.

 Pini Vollach -
The colours are rather washed out, and the composition
strikes me as off-balanced. Perhaps it would be
improved by cropping out the patch of blue at lower
right. But even so, while I think that the colours
would have tempted me too, I don't think there is
enough here to hold my interest.

 Bruce Weitzman - Speak-Hear-See, self-portrait
Interesting technique and a favourite theme. Very good
choice to make the three portraits increase in height
across the frame. Given the method used, it would be
small to complain about the slivers to the left of
each portraits (and the one to the right of the final
one), but I am curious as to why they are there. I am
also curious as to how long the exposure was. How many
attempts did it take to get a workable image from this
Rube Goldberg-like set up?

 Stephen Ylvisaker - Do I trust my eyes or my brain?
I am afraid that the rest of the class is going to
point and laugh, but I don't see the  optical illusion
here. I see road, rock, and scrub, but nothing more.
Not seeing the illusion, I don't see the point.

Brian van den Broek
brianvanden@yahoo.ca