Re: Who needs a Spyder?

I'm also of the "by eye" school. I think part of it may depend on your knowledge of color/contrast/density corrections - if you have a good eye for that you should be able to get your monitor fairly well calibrated. Depending upon the printer you use (I use a 1280) and whether you're running a mac or pc platform, there can be quite good color management software setups. You may have to play a bit with them (I'm on a pc so the Adobe Gamma - Epson CM software doesn't run QUITE as smoothly as a mac) - but once you find "your way" you should be more or less set. I guess the best advice I could give - other than getting a spyder (if you WANT to go that route and there's one designed for your monitor) - is to spend a day doing tests: if you're running photoshop, set up Adobe Gamma to calibrate your monitor and then save that setting as your new preference in your profiles. I only know the setup on Epson's - so if you DO have one, then use the color management settings and select your newly-calibrated profile. That should be a good starting point. The "testing" becomes taking it from a tungsten-lit room into daylight, etc etc etc - unless your workspace is set up for "ideal viewing conditions" you're going to have to play with the calibrations so your prints look right when viewed in the "appropriate" conditions. Lastly, there's all the different kinds of paper. If you have an Epson and are using Epson ink and paper then their "paper type" options should keep colors reasonably consistent. But if you switch to, say, the Fuji Crystal archival paper mentioned in other conversations, then you're going to have to set a new paper type and/or color profile to match that. So, take all the papers you plan on using, stick to one brand of ink, and just spend the day playing. I would also suggest making a note on the back of each final test print of the settings used; I trusted my memory would handle it all, until two weeks ago when I went to make a black & white print and suddenly couldn't remember my exact settings, which meant another annoying round of tests. Oh - and especially if you're using a CRT monitor, make sure you let it warm up for at least an hour before doing calibrations - until they're fully warmed-up they tend to shift slightly, so your corrections won't come out right. Well Greg, I hope this helps you some if you're planning on skipping on a Spyder. They're nice if you've got the right one (and the "right" monitor to start with), but with a little effort you can certainly calibrate it yourself.
~Rob