Re:Re: Emily Ferguson - Seascapes

Shyrell wrote --

>>>Actually, I'm having quite a good chuckle out of it all! Honest person that I am, I'm sure I'll do it again. <G> At any rate, a few things have come up that I never thought of. I usually take pics that have no names on them out of mags and do my paintings from them. <<<

  Leaving aside all issues regarding copyright (looks like every legal angle has been explored, and none of the simplest human-scale issues).
What I wonder is: why bother to paint from someone else's picture ?
I draw, and do so either from memory or real life, never from photographs, mine or anyone else's. Not because I might get sued, but for two reasons: First, I have no interest in basing my drawings on someone else's ideas. Second, why would any artist give up one of the great strengths of anything done by hand, stereotaxic vision for the cyclopean monocle of the camera lens ?
   I often walk through sidewalk art shows and spot painting after painting (particularly nudes) based on well-known photos, slavishly rendered, too. What a waste of potential creativity...

  -- Luis