Re: Emily Ferguson - Seascapes

Emily and Photoforum:

O.K. I read the archives. I think this is a straight-forward request for the use of a photo as an artist's reference. Here is what FotoQuote says:

"In this category your photographs will be used by an artist for reference or detail information for a painting, drawing or other type of creative work. Your original photograph will NOT be recognizable in the final product. If you can recognize your photo, the usage is an ARTIST RENDERING (see that category in the ADVERTISING menu) and will require a higher fee.

An image used as an artist reference is generally not a high paying usage. Be sure you understand exactly how the artist intends to use your pictures as a reference before you quote a price. Remember, if they intend to virtually duplicate your image, then it becomes an artist rendering, which is a very different usage. A true artist reference usage goes for between $200 and $500.

Be sure to select a price from the price range for this usage based on the uniqueness of your photo. What we mean by uniqueness in fotoQuote is how well your image fits the needs of your client for this specific usage. What this means in terms of this negotiation is - how easily can the buyer replace your image with another if you can't agree on a price.

Read the IMAGE UNIQUENESS and FINDING A PRICE sections of the COACH for more help with this. Use the STEPS TO A SALE for a step-by-step guide to this negotiation. After you understand the process you can just scan the STEPS - OUTLINE section of the COACH for a quick reminder.

Try to get a comp faxed to your office before you begin your pricing negotiations so you can better understand the usage. Also, the longer you can wait to negotiate your price the stronger position you are in.

When writing your license agreement, make it as specific as possible. For an example of the usage licenses I use, see DOCUMENTATION in the COACH."

Here is the reference for photographs that are recognizable in the finished artwork:

"An artist rendering is a drawing or painting based on a photograph. Use this category when the original photograph is recognizable in the final product.

Don't be fooled here, this usage could bring a lot of money depending on how the rendering is used and the similarity to the original photograph. Many agencies we've spoken with charge 75% to 100% of the fee charged for an original photograph in the same category. We suggest you USE THE SAME FORMULA. The final drawing is a product that your photograph has added a great deal of value to and you deserve to be paid for that value. It is important that you protect your copyright in the final image. Click the DOCUMENTATION button in the COACH to read more information about this.

Try to get a comp faxed to your office before you begin your pricing negotiations so you can better understand the usage. Also, the longer you can wait to negotiate your price the stronger position you are in.

When writing your license agreement, make it as specific as possible. For an example of the usage licenses I use, see DOCUMENTATION in the COACH."

I recommend FotoQuote from http://www.cradoc.com/ for any pricing question. Hindsight also has a good pricing software addition to their photo-business software.

Hope this helps!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP