Re: Beginner needs info

Le 20.6.2003 20:32, «?am9849@sccoast.net?» <am9849@sccoast.net> a écrit?:

> Hi all,
> I have been shooting 35mm photos for many years and have just recently gotten
> the "bug" to try digital and I was hoping some of you would share your
> comments
> about 3 cameras I am considering buying.
> 1) Nikon Coolpix 5700
> 2) Minolta Dimage 7Hi
> 3) Sony DSC F717
>
> Any help & guidence you can provide is greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards and thank you for your consideration.
> Tony

Hi,

Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/
This is one of the best place to get info on digital cameras, their in depth
reviews are excellent and they do also have a facility to make side by side
comparisons of the main characteristic of the cameras interesting you.

I would look for a camera taking Compact Flash cards : they are the ones
offering the highest capacity and you'd also be able to use them in digital
SLRs if you take that plunge once. This means that I'd discard the Sony
which has a proprietary card.

I don't know why you picked these three rather than other brand ? Nor what
kind of photography you want to do, so it's difficult to give you other
advices. I have had a Canon Power G2 and I was really happy with the image
quality and with the ergonomic of the digital interface (compared to the
Nikon it is easier to manage all the menus and function changes) (although
I've just read that the very last one issued has improved over the
preceeding models in this respect). Canon has just announced a new G5 model
now and I've read good reviews about it.

I've read that the Nikon Coolpix were better than many at macro (better than
the Nikon for instance), that a certain model of the Olympus has the shorter
shutterlag (I think it's the Olympus C5050Z but I'm not sure, you'll have to
check). Some Coolpix models (I think it's the 5000) offers wider lenses
which is an advantage for some.. I know nothing about the Minolta, neither
in favor nor against it.

Anyway, in the end, it's all a question of what kind of pictures you want to
take. Have a look at dpreview www site, it will help you see the advantages
and disadvantages of the different models.

--
Christiane