Re: reshoot suggestions, ideas

Lea, I too worked for PCA and now work for CPI (dba Sears Portrait Studio) and have for the last 7 years...one thing we do when we have several kids of varying ages (the thing that will entertain a 4 year old, will not keep the attention of a 1 year old) is team shoot...one photographer works with the one year old and shoots, and the other works with the 4 year old....doesn't have to be another photographer of course, an assistant would work though...also, we NEVER charge for a reshoot...no matter who is at fault. But then again, you are talking mass production, retail photography where a few frames of film are a drop in the bucket, and the photographers are getting paid whether the kid is cooperative or not.

I am not aware of a leaflet for the "child's play" but a good book on child development should give you some ideas...I will look through my materials from CPI..seems we had a "list" of age appropriate antics to keep attention and generate smiles. Hope this helps...I also strongly agree with Les...speed it essential, and always shoot the groups first...it is easier to get a reshoot with just one person, than mom having to redress the whole clan.

Angi

From: lea <lea@whinydogpress.com>
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Re: reshoot suggestions, ideas
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:39:43 -0500

Some great tips and pointers....thanks for sending them.

Any chance the "Child's Play" lesson is in book/pamplet form somewhere?

I'm really good with individual kids and I'm not bad with 2 but get much
over that and it gets hairy! Maybe I just need more practice, maybe I
need to say I just don't do family groups with small children.

Thanks for all the good advice.
Lea