Re: conversion to bw...I got it

lea wrote:

> After some messing around I figured out how to convert to lab, convert to
> bw, convert to grayscale and save as a jpg...you MUST delete all the alpha
> channels except for Alpha 1. Then you can save as a jpg.
>
> Thanks to Tina, Pablo, Phil and Christiane for their help.
>
> Oh happy day!

Lea,
Glad you got it figured out.  But, just for curiosity, what is the end use
for these images?  Is it just for web use?

If so, here's another method that may give you more versatility and less
hassle.

Scan your b&w negs in gray scale and convert to either duotone.  You will
save these as and .eps file.  Then you can use the save for web function Palo
(?) suggested.

I have found that Pantone 5225 CVC used lightly as the second tone works well
to render a nice Selenium tone which is maintained when saved to jpg via the
save for web function.  Of course, by experimenting with the second tone
selection, you can establish any tone from Selenium to Cobalt Blue, Van Dyke,
Sepia, even that horrible Oriental Seagull green tone.

Peace!
Sidney

--
God said, Let there be light!
Divine Light: Photography by Rev. Sidney Flack