Re: bw photoshop conversion help

At 04:51 PM 6/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Tina - -

Just testing the waters with very little digital experience, I have read
that shooting digital in color and then converting it to b&w is much more
desirable then shooting in b&w initially.  Is this correct?  If so, can you
tell me why.  Thank you very much in advance.
Cheers,
Colette

Hi, Colette -

The only reason it is desirable is that you have both black and white and color. It's fairly easy to go from color to B&W but very difficult to convert a B&W to color! I still love B&W the best, but it is still true that color sells better as stock.

Photographing with color digital gives you more options. The B&W choice in most digital cameras is just the color file with the color removed. It doesn't give you any of the advantages of speed or grain that B&W film does. In other words, there is no advantage to photographing digital B&W over color.

Hope this helps.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP http://www.tinamanley.com

photos available from: